Sunday, November 20, 2011

Holidays and the Pilot Schedule

So I love the holiday season; starting with Halloween --> Thanksgiving--> Christmas. What I don't love however is John working for an airline that time of year. The biggest reason for this is planning, something the airlines love and hate to do. What you want vacation? Well you need to plan that a YEAR in advance, but wait you want to know when you are working next month....oh we won't tell you that until the middle/end of the month before!

It's super frustrating...take for instance Christmas, the schedule for December was supposed to come out on the 18th, with trip trades starting the 20th. Now though the computer dumped the bids so the schedule came out on the 20th with trip trades on the 23rd. This makes it really hard to plan, as we are going to Chicago. Since we are going home (Chicago) everyone wants to know what/when/where were going to be there, no one quite understands that we don't know yet. I understand from their perspective everyone is crazy busy and wants to make plans...so do I!! But alas that isn't in the cards as the wife of a pilot.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you! I'm a professional event planner so planning is in my nature. Who knows how I ended up marrying a pilot! We had a completely CRAP schedule for November but December is looking up. Just found out my pilot is home for Christmas AND a weekend that we planned to travel to visit friends. The stars were aligned this year. I won't count on that to happen again! :)

    ReplyDelete