Sunday, November 23, 2014

Attitude Affects Everything


                                      My favorite pic after the marathon,
                                 I refuse to let any illness/surgery stop me!



So I just hit a milestone with my last hip surgery, maybe not a good milestone, but that was my 10th surgery!!  That's right 10 surgeries (of various nature, most related to endometriosis) and these are just the ones that I have had general anesthesia for, I figure local and twilight don't count.

My hip surgery wasn't bad by my standards, the kidney surgery a month prior was WAY worse.  It was horrible, and I ended up spending 4 days in the hospital.  Comparatively hip surgery was a breeze, I woke up and my first thought was, Why is it so late? We are going to hit rush hour! Turns out my hip was worse than they expected so it took a lot longer, that seems to be a common theme in my surgeries.

The thing is through all these surgeries I keep pushing forward, true some are much harder to push through (kidney surgery) than other surgeries.  One of the best things my mother instilled in me was even if you don't feel good get up, take a shower, and get dressed.  Its a "fake it till you make it" type philosophy.  This has worked wonderfully well for me, well that and a handful of pain killers sometimes, but none the less I don't often miss things because of how I feel.

I don't want you to think it's all unicorns and happy pills though, I do end up in the ER, sometimes a lot.  Sometimes I end up passing out when I get to the airport to pick dh up so he can take me to the ER, but I am usually back at it the next day.  Since dh is sometimes gone 5 days at a time I also don't have the luxury of lying around saying "poor me" I still have to take care of the horses/dogs/cats and anything else that comes up when he is gone.

Are there things I would have liked to do but can't? Sure, I desperately want to run the Goofy Race (half marathon and full marathon) at Disney this year, but that's not going to happen.  The important thing is to keep your head up and keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment