Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pilot's Concept of Time


So I am not sure if it's just my pilot, or if it's all pilot's, but mine has NO concept of time. Oh apparently he has a good grasp of time at work, but not at home. He's on time for his shows, and for his commute flights (as long as he's not running to take one home) his watch/phone appears to hold accurate time when he's at work, it's when he's home that's the problem.

If I for instance tell him I want to leave in half an hour, this will go unnoticed and seemingly ignored; instead he will finish whatever he was doing, then get ready, be it on time (shockingly rare) or more likely about 15min late.

Oh I have learned through the years that if he's working on a car or an airplane or really anything, if he says "It will take 45min." What he really means is "I don't know, but if I don't tell you something that sounds like a reasonable time your liable to get ticked, so in reality this will take me at Least 2 hours."

He is particularly bad about time in airports. I am the type of person who would rather get to the airport 2 hours early, go through security, then sit there and read my book or play on the computer. My husband....not so much. He forgets that I can't (depends on the airport and TSA) go through the crew line, so he constantly pushes for us to get to the airport an hour before the flight. When I say get to the airport I mean driving into the park and shuttle, then still taking another 10-15min to GET to the airport. Now in his defense if I non-rev there is no reason to get there that early as I won't know until the last minute if I make it or not anyway, but since I usually buy a ticket I don't want to miss my flight! I have learned this and accepted it, so I occasionally alter my times to jive with his "concept of time."


So I have started combating this issue by simply telling him my plane (or whatever I want him on time for) is earlier than it really is. One of the last times I flew with him he caught onto this though, and was annoyed that I had told him the flight left 20min earlier than it really did. Really your going to throw a hissy fit over 20min, when you tell me 45min and mean 2 hours? Since he knows how to use a clock at work, maybe I should get him a talking watch for when he's home?

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, my pilot and I are opposite; I'm never on time for personal stuff! He's really good about giving me a countdown to out-the-door time. Lol. But as for "garage time", I grew up with that from my dad. He was always working on somebody's vehicle in the garage and never finished in the said 45 minutes. 2 hours was way more accurate! Maybe that talking watch would be a funny gift ;)

    ReplyDelete